9.28.2008

Too wise...

Sometimes, I think my Tyler is a little too wise for his age. This child is a sponge and challenges me often with my knowledge--and often he is right! Such a know it all...

I had an interesting conversation with him yesterday about politics and the upcoming election.

"Mom, who are you going to vote for, Obama or McCain?"

"Well, I don't know yet. I need to look some more at the issues, at what they say they're going to do as President."

"But they always lie, so how will you know?"

See, this kid is so stinkin' wise! This conversation soon turned into a discussion about faith and having faith in who we chose, but that no matter who is leading us, we need to try our best to do what is right and stay close to the Lord because he won't lie to us or lead us astray.

So, Tyler had the idea that we should have a Family Home Evening about the election and compare the two candidates and then we could have a pretend election where the kids could vote. Rob and I are also going to add a few other things to the ballot--like what is the best way to protect their bedroom from danger, or what should be the reward/consequence for completing/not completing their work. And they will have to campaign a bit for what they think would be the best solution. What do you think?

I am so proud of Tyler. I'm amazed at his constant desire to not only be right all the time, but also do what is right. He is always thinking and questioning and then drawing remarkable conclusions. He is such an example to his younger siblings and has really stepped up as the example since Rob has been gone so much. And I have appreciated so much all the help he has given me. No, he's not perfect. He often gets frustrated with his brothers and me. He has a moody streak like no other (wonder where he gets that from) and he hates work as much as any other kid. But he loves trying new things and sharing what he's learned. Right now, his goal is to read books 2 levels higher then his tested reading level and to learn how to do a wheelie on his bike. Over the past few months, he's taken a stronger interest in sports--maybe having a male teacher has something to do with this--not just playing them, but knowing stats, etc...

I think I've got to be one of the luckiest moms on earth to have Tyler as my son.

8 comments to remember:

Denise said...

What a great kid. Love that Tyler!

Melanie said...

This is such a sweet post! I love your election FHE idea...you'll have to let us know how that one turns out!

Puhlman said...

Oh Don would totally love a FHE like this. He is soooooooooo political. I am not going to tell him about it. He might try to get me to organize one. That is very cool about Tyler. Maybe one day he will be president. Sounds to me he has a much better head on his shoulders than Obama or McCain. I would vote for him in a heart beat.

Angel said...

What an awesome idea Tyler, and you are so smart to know that you can't always believe everything that candidates say when they are running for office. Annie, you are so lucky to be able to have talks like these with Tyler. You're awesome with ALL your kids, each one being so different and unique and loveable in their own way. What a great mom you are!

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

Sounds like a great kid!

Kim said...

Can Tyler run for president? What a smart child you have there-obviously very aware of his surroundings. i think your mock election sounds wonderful. What a great way to teach the kids about current events.

Laura said...

sounds like tyler is smart like his parents!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.