I'm sure you won't find, the details of our cruise very exciting, but you can just look at the pics instead!
Some cruise things I have learned...
We will never take a young child on a cruise. First, where would they sleep? The rooms are SO small. And they can't go in the pools. And they'd be awful in the Dining Hall--and who wants to eat at the buffet the whole time.
Maybe a Disney Cruise would be different, but the kids have to be at least 4/5 years old and older!
Best part of cruising--no worrying about your next meal and whether or not it will be good. EVERY meal was a treat! And I have an extra 3 pounds who agree with me!
And you don't have to pick up after yourself (or anyone else). I loved leaving my towel on the floor and the bed unmade and MAGICALLY, it would not look that way the next time I went in the room!
It's a toss up on whether or not to have a window/balcony for me. I loved the pitch black room!! And not having sunlight to wake me up too early. But I always wondered what time it was when I did wake up.
I don't know if I'd book excursions off the ship. Because of weather each of our excursions were screwed up in one way or another, but the cruise line was very accommodating and we didn't feel like we were out any money. Key west excursion--snuba diving (I hated it, Rob thought it was okay). There was nothing to see because a storm had come through earlier, but we did go on a mini dolphin excursion which made up for it. Cozumel was our favorite, but because the ship was late getting in (because of weather)we had to rush through our visit at Tulum and our lunch/beach break was cut short. But we know now that we definitely want to go back!! Belize was the worst day (but fun at the same time)! Most excursions were cancelled because a Tropical Storm had just blown through (so, no zip line, cave tubing or snorkeling) but we did go to a beautiful private island and went kayaking and spent time walking around and getting rained on. Somehow being in a rainstorm is kind of fun when you don't have whiny kids with you!
The days at sea are a lot of fun! I loved just sitting out in the sun and having nothing to do but eat, sleep, read, layout, watch Rob belly flop, eat some more, go for a walk, rock climb, attend a yoga class, eat even more, etc...I could go on and on. If we had stayed on the ship the whole time, I would have been just fine!
Being with the same person for 7 days straight is not that bad! I thought we'd be annoyed with each other by the end, but it was quite the opposite. Since being home, we've barely seen each other and you know...I kind of miss the guy!
However, going on a cruise with people you know would be a lot of fun. We met lots of cool, fun and nice people, but it's not the same. Sure would have been fun having my sisters to dance with on 80's night or some friends to go to the spa with instead of snuba diving!
Take Dramamine with you if you go on a cruise--especially during hurricane season. It was my lifesaver!! The ship was rocky and next time I'd prefer to go at a different time of the year, but cheapskate me would sign up again during this same time of year because we had THAT MUCH FUN!
Puke Fest--On our way from Cozumel to mainland Mexico, we took a VERY BUMPY 45 minute boat ride--and no joke...2/3rds of the boat got sick--over and over again. Some how Rob and I avoided the inevitable (thank you Dramamine)! Sit in the open air to avoid this nastiness!
All in all, we will go again on a cruise and hopefully we won't have to wait another 10 years to do it!
10.27.2008
Cruise in Review
Something to remember from
Andrea
on
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments to remember:
Love the pics. I have been to Cozumel also and loved it. It was sooo peaceful and I got a lot of nice silver. Loved bartering with the locals and I love Mexican food.
Great great pictures. So glad you guys had a great trip sans children!
Awesome update! Going with friends does sound like fun! Bummer about all your excursions...
So glad you had fun. We love Mexico! Did the kids do okay with you gone 7 days?
Never been to the mainland, but we did the Mexican Riviera cruise a few years ago - Hmm... Caitlin was born July 20th, and our cruise was the end of October. Timing? LOLS
Anyway, when we went on our cruise, Evan was three and really had a blast! He spent several of the days in the Carnival Kids Club area, including one late night sleepover to watch movies and sleep on the floor while mommy and daddy went clubbing :-)
Another suggestion that really worked for us was to get a balcony room so it didn't feel so cramped - we exchanged a timeshare week to help pay for it, took an off week, and cruised on Carnival - although I'd prefer to try nearly anybody else after that one... We did one official excursion, one highly unofficial one, and one day of shopping - all three were actually great!
My favorite part was that we moved into our luxury resort hotel at the beginning of the week, unpacked, and three days later our hotel showed up in Mexico! That's totally my style of vacation...
Post a Comment