Headed out on a field trip with my 6th grader today. 6th graders and a rainy day...I didn't think would be a good combination, but it was kind of sort of fun. However, I did not come home with any pictures. So sad.
I did come home with lots of thoughts, though. Maybe more like anxieties.
I hated my high school experience, middle school wasn't as bad. I was the quiet one. Some would say shy, I prefer quiet. I'd talk to people, converse in class, but outside of school I was not really close with too many school friends. I remember all of the anxieties that I felt. At that age, friends and relationships are important. Don't get me wrong, I did have friends. Just not at my school. So it kind of sucked.
Tyler is our quiet one. So I curiously watched his interactions with his peers while on the field trip.
And I really probably have no reason to worry. But I do. Because I don't want him to go through what I did. And with his closest friends in his grade moving or going to a different school, I can tell that he is bummed. He interacted and laughed with and talked to the other kids, but I could see in his eyes that he wasn't happy (or as happy as he could be). He was more happy about what they were doing on the field trip (science related) rather then the social aspects of it.
And that's ok, right? I need to just top worrying about it, right?
He is well liked. He is active in school--taking French, cello, robotics club, school play, etc...He likes the challenges that school offers. I'm sure his quiet personality will settle into a happy school routine.
So what's the problem...
me.
Stop worrying!
10.27.2011
Worry Wart
Something to remember from
Andrea
on
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments to remember:
I just don't think I will EVER be able to stop worrying even the littlest, tiniest bit. And my oldest is only 3. So you're not alone there. Tyler seems like a great kid and he will be okay. All kids really need is just a few close friends to get them through childhood/teen years; it's hard no matter what advantages you have in your corner but just steady, reliable love from family and those few trusty buddies sure helps.
I think he will be just fine. Sometimes being the quiet one is good thing. Then they stay out of all the drama. I think he will make his middle school and high school experience as much fun and adventorus as he wants. He will come out of his shell when he's ready.
What mom heart doesn't bleed a little each day?
Your sweet Tyler is lucky to have your support as he needs it.
Post a Comment