Hardly! I am annoyed, though... I will vent first.
We lost our power last night and it finally is now back on (hopefully...it seems as if it can't make up it's mind). We made it through the awful rain storms without any flooding. We're just a bit cold and cranky (Cranky? Who me? Never!).
Today, Evan and I started our first fire EVER in this home!
I tried to stay out of the freezing house as much as possible, so I filled our day with the "oh, so fun" errands. One of those errands being a trip to see the pediatrician for Evan's 3 year well child check. Yes, I'm going to vent about my pediatrician again. All I can say is that this was the last straw. The only reason I was staying with this practice was because of the Dr. we saw today. Not any more! Sayonara!
This was Evan's first visit since being diagnosed with Hypo. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe I assumed that the Dr. would have read up on dwarfism. So, pretty much, she told me that Evan was fat, yes, I said, "fat." Those who know Evan, I don't think would ever classify him as over weight. Stocky, but not fat. Being stocky is part of his dwarfism. It's one of the main physical characteristics. I asked, "well, I think his weight (on the AH growth chart) is related to his short stature, right? Less body to put the weight on to?" I was pretty much told that it wasn't. Evan needs to eat less and exercise more! Hello! This child is running all day. Should I wake him up at night now and have him work out to keep the weight off?? GRRRRR...Anyways, point being that the Dr. had no clue about anything. She's never worked with a child with dwarfism and didn't seem too willing to learn the facts. So, Pudge (I say this in the most affectionate way) and I are now in search of a new Doc! I know there are some out there in the area who are familiar with dwarfism--I just need to find them.
"I've got the power...it's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic".
This was Evan's first visit since being diagnosed with Hypo. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe I assumed that the Dr. would have read up on dwarfism. So, pretty much, she told me that Evan was fat, yes, I said, "fat." Those who know Evan, I don't think would ever classify him as over weight. Stocky, but not fat. Being stocky is part of his dwarfism. It's one of the main physical characteristics. I asked, "well, I think his weight (on the AH growth chart) is related to his short stature, right? Less body to put the weight on to?" I was pretty much told that it wasn't. Evan needs to eat less and exercise more! Hello! This child is running all day. Should I wake him up at night now and have him work out to keep the weight off?? GRRRRR...Anyways, point being that the Dr. had no clue about anything. She's never worked with a child with dwarfism and didn't seem too willing to learn the facts. So, Pudge (I say this in the most affectionate way) and I are now in search of a new Doc! I know there are some out there in the area who are familiar with dwarfism--I just need to find them.
"I've got the power...it's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic".
On a happier note!!!
- I literally woke up laughing. I was dreaming about something that was making me giggle out loud. When I opened my eyes, Rob was staring at me. "What the...?"
- My kids gave me the option to have breakfast in bed or to eat with them. How could I say, "no, I'd prefer to eat by myself." Eggs, sausage, pancakes and juice. Yummy!
- got some rain stompin' boots (the striped ones!!). And boy have I gotten some use out of them these past few days! After church, the boys and I stomped in puddles and got ourselves drenched. (Oh, and I got a new shovel...hmmm...is Rob saying "get to work, lady" or "I forgive you for taking your frustrations out on my shovel.")
- At church Evan ran up to this little, old, Cambodian man, "Yoda! Yoda!". He grabbed his hand and started walking with him down the hallway. The man didn't know what Evan was saying, but I think he felt Evan's sincere love and respect for him!
- I went in to say good night to Tyler and Jared and they were lying there looking at all of the glow in the dark stars and floating planets. "I love our new room. I feel like I'm floating in space." What a great ending to a great day!

10 comments to remember:
Oh, I am glad that your mother's day was great!
And good luck on the new doc. I know how hard it is. Just one more reason we haven't made the switch!
I definitely think you should change doctors. But, I thought so after the last incident. Let me know if you need help researching. I'm going to my family doctor on Wed. I can ask if they know any that have worked with dwarfism. Anyway, glad you got to use your new boots so soon after getting them. Usually that would cause no rain for a month. Let's get it over now and have a good Memorial weekend.
Cute boots! Glad you had an awesome day!
How funny...we are going on a RC western carribean cruise this fall too...but I realize yours is diff since we don't have the same ports of call (too bad, wouldn't that be crazy???). ANyway, i do have lots of tips and advice. I need to head to preschool but I will try to get back here and tell you all I know;-) Maybe not all I know;-)
Hi Andrea-
Adrianna is young, just 5 months old. She was pretty much diagnosed about 2 months after birth, especially since she is still in newborn clothes. Check out the Yahoo group on Parents of Little People. They're the ones who hooked us up with her achon doc in Delaware. I'm not sure where you are located, but if it's near DE I can pass his info to you.
Awesome boots...totally you! and if I were you, I probably would have punched that doctor in the face and told him to look in the mirror or something lame like that. Glad you had a good Mother's Day! Your boys' room is my decorating muse right now!!
Andrea,
I hate pediatricians too! After each well visit I would be like-that's funny Preston measures about an inch longer at the genticist. There was never any reading up on anything! ARGH!
Glad your Mommy's Day was great.
So glad that you had a great Mother's day. I LOVE YOUR BOOTS! I think I need a pair. It has been raining on and off all week. We are in Pa.
I hope that you find a new Ped. One that will at least be willing to read up on dwarfism.
Sometimes you can ask your geneticist if there are any doctors in your area that have seen patients with dwarfism before.
Hello! Found you from Tonya's site! My son is 9 1/2 months with achon. You are a crack up with your posts!! I am looking forward to following Evan!!
Once again, shall I say...you are cooler than a cucumber!!
Post a Comment