2.03.2009

Good times at the Grocers

I've had a very thought provoking morning...

After dropping Evan off at school, Anna and I headed off to do some much needed grocery shopping. As I was loading up my groceries to check out, I hear Anna gasp, loudly, and exclaim, "HUH?"

I was in the process of retrieving the 100+ boxes of macaroni from the bottom of our cart (which is a Kunz family staple), but I was curious as to what caused this reaction from my almost 2 year old daughter. In slow motion, this is what I saw...

A pair of white, Reebok sneakers--you know the kind. I probably had a pair with Velcro in the 8th grade (oh no, wait, those were Tretorns)...
Followed by a pair of Mom jeans...(which, by the way, send me home if you ever see me in a pair, I'd rather be seen in sweats)
And then a sweater similar to this one...
Then to find out what Anna was so shocked at seeing, the woman behind us looked like this (except with long hair)...

I looked up to make sure that Anna wasn't struck with fear. She surprisingly, wasn't. Instead she stared in awe. And for the next 5 minutes she continued to stare. The woman and I engaged in a conversation about children, she told me about hers,...The entire time, I am so intrigued and I have so many questions...Did it hurt? Why did you do it? What made you choose purple and turquoise? Who designed it? What do your children think of it? What kind of reactions do you get?...

But of course, I was too chicken to ask any of them. I need to get over that because now I'm left thinking about so many things...

Today's lesson...don't judge a book by it's cover. She really was enjoyable to talk with. And thank goodness Anna doesn't have the vocabulary yet to express her curiosity!!

7 comments to remember:

Melanie said...

Cool story. Kind of wishing I could have seen that kind of excitement when I went to Walmart this morning. And you reminded me...I forgot to pick up mac-n-cheese! The kids are going to starve!

Kim said...

Your story kept me on the edge of my seat. BTW I hear you on the mom jeans and funny picture! I cannot believe a woman would tatoo her whole face, but what a great lesson! We cannot judge a book by it's cover. Good post!

Melanie said...

I agree with Kim, your story kept me on the edge of my seat too!

dastew said...

Face tattoos freak me out. I'm cool with most any other ones but on the face and neck just seems wrong. Also is that mom jeans photo from the SNL add where the jeans had patented "front butt technology"? I seem to remember that for some reason.

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Hysterical. The mom jeans is one of my favorite SNL skits! I don't know how you kept it together. It's interesting though isn't it. Staring at someone else as opposed to having someone stare at your child?

Tonya said...

Great story and one experience Anna will never forget!

Jen said...

Just wait until Anna can talk!
I remember waiting in line with JJ when she was about 4 and she noticed that the guy in front of us had long hair and was wearing ear rings. She turned to me and said, (in a not so quiet voice,) "Mom, He has long hair!.....And He's wearing ear rings!....Boys are not supposed to do that!"
I was so embarrassed!