5.26.2009

A Little Education

It's late. I really should be sleeping and you'd think after our fun filled, yet exhausting weekend, that I would be fast asleep but instead I'm up "thinking"...

about the word "midget".

First, I am grateful for a quick acting husband who was able to educate our children on the offensiveness of this word. (He's always so calm and rational. It's a good thing I wasn't around. I'm not like that.)

Yet, there are others who for whatever reason, still do not understand that to most of the dwarfism community (and that includes their loving family members), midget is a very highly offensive term. Like calling an African American a n**ger. Or a mentally challenged child a retard. Gasp! "Andrea, I can't believe you said that."

Yep, that offensive.

I know this term gets thrown around casually and is often not used or meant to offend, but if you see a LP (little person) or dwarf (the politically correct terms) DO NOT call them or refer to them as a midget. It's offensive.

Consider yourself educated.

(P.S. My DH is concerned about my use of offensive language in this post, so he kindly edited the "n" word for me. Who would have ever thought that my husband would be the one to think before he speaks! I'm sure those reading know that this was not meant to take offense, but to make a point. I think he should edit the other words, too! Love ya, hun! Thanks for looking out for me.)



On a side note...

Here is a photo of Evan climbing near the top of Cunningham Falls...
And here he is making it to the top!It's a good thing I wasn't there to witness this jump. I think I would have had a heart attack!

9 comments to remember:

delilas said...

Thank you so much for that education because I'm one that was not aware that was offensive to Little People. I am sorry if I used that word.

Kim said...

Good post Andrea! I think you hit the nail on the head!

Alex said...

Great post! I don't think we can ever post enough about this!!!!! I should post about it sometime soon!!

Jacobson Five said...

I think that really people just do not know. I remember when we first found out about Evan I had to ask you what was the proper term. It is unfortunate, but people just don't know.

Fisher Crew said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cunningham Falls! I grew up going there at least once a month and that was where David took me on our first date. I'm so jealous you can go so easily! Enjoy it for me and take more pictures when you can! Also, thanks for the education!

family said...

Jeff and I think we should just call him Evan.

Angel said...

A great lesson Andrea. It's one of those questions that a lot of people don't know HOW or even IF they should ask. Education is the quickest cure for ignorance so keep getting the word out. I had no idea that the M word was as offencive as the N word but now I do and can pass it along. As far as my adorable grandchildren go, I'm aiming for the more personal first name thing.LOL
Bet you all are excited to be seeing your new neice and adorable nephews shortly! Take lots of pics!

Chiadeb said...

I can tell you are upset! Hopefully your blog entry will help others understand. I know that people of my generation don't know that word is offensive. It was accepted terminology at one time.

Alanna said...

Thanks for sharing this-- speaking as someone who's foot is never far from my mouth, I really appreciate it when people can explain these things before I manage to offend anyone!