4.08.2008

Babies and Bishoprics don't mix!

I goo and gaa over Evan all the time, I know, but it his birthday and there isn't a better time to remember his birth story (I had to pull the baby book out, I'm beginning to confuse all their births).

The story of Evan's birth...


My pregnancy was typical--meaning, no problems! We had our induction date set, Friday, April 8th, 2005. On Wednesday night we got a call from the Stake Presidency. President Dion wanted to meet with us on Thursday night. He was kind enough to meet with us, at our home, on the eve of the birth of our child. Background--Rob was the executive secretary and was aware that the ward would be getting a new Bishop and a new Elder's quorum president. So, when the call came, we figured Elder's quorum president. It never crossed my mind that it would be for anything else. I think Rob knew it wasn't going to be that, though. He has this intuitive nature about him and I could tell that he wasn't at ease.

President Dion came over late Thursday night and extended Rob a calling to serve in the Bishopric and he also apologized a hundred times to me for doing this while we were in the midst of having a baby. This was really crappy timing, if you ask me! I don't think Rob slept that night. And the next day he was a bit distracted. We're having a baby! I'm in the bishopric? We're having a baby! I'm in the bishopric? We're having a baby...you get the idea!

Thankfully, Evan's birth was uneventful because I don't know if Rob was totally "there". Tyler and Jared were dropped off at friends houses and we made it to the hospital nice and early in the morning. I'd already been dilated to a 4 so I figured things would go smoothly and quickly. The pit was started and my water was broken. I was given the epidural and I was looking forward to holding my baby in a few hours. When a few hours passed and I hadn't progressed much, the nurse realized that my water had not been broken, just pricked. The doc came back broke my water and 2 hours later, Evan was born at 4:23 pm. Weighing it at 10 pounds and stretching out to 21 inches!

First impressions--Evan had a small "dent" near the corner of his mouth that wasn't quite a dimple. He had a long body with shorter legs (funny how that was noticed by me from the very beginning). He had a beautiful round head covered with soft brown hair. He had hemorrhaging around both of his eyes and Evan had this soft fuzzy hair on his ears. His eyes were big and I knew from the start that they would be blue. He looked a lot like Jared as a newborn, but with Tyler hair. I was in love!

We had a peaceful stay at the hospital. It was the first time I'd had a private room! Tyler and Jared beamed with pride every time they held him. And Rob still ran around frantic, still very distracted. I was to go home on Sunday afternoon and Rob was to be set apart at our 1 pm church time. I really wanted to be there, but knowing I wouldn't be able to handle the kids, he had someone bring them to church. I came home and changed quickly (as quickly as a lady who just had a baby could) into my maternity skirt, bundled Evan up and off we went to church. WHAT??? The plan was that Rob would go into the chapel and sit by the boys and I would sneak into the back with Evan and then we'd slip out after the meeting. Much to our dismay, the Stake President noticed that I was in the back and announced Evan and I's presence to the entire congregation! So the entire ward got to see post pregnant Andrea! Poor them! We did manage to sneak out before Evan was attacked!

Evan was an awesome and easy baby from the start. Chubby, always smiling, rarely cried, great sleeper,...His big blue eyes and size got him a lot of attention as a baby and it's still the same today. I adore this child more than words can describe. I can never have enough of my Evan!

Happy 3rd birthday sweetie!

7 comments to remember:

Denise said...

Happy birthday Evan!

We love you.

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

How fun to remember! My Hubby was called to be Elders Quorum Pres. the same week I had our first baby. The Stake Pres. actually called while we were still in the hospital. I went to church that Sunday after a c-section, and boy was that dumb! Once you show your face everyone thinks you are ready to join society again. I won't ever do that again. Have a fun Birthday Evan!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Evan! I remember when he was born. He was so chubby and cute! Everytime I saw him he was happy and smiling!

D-lyn said...

You are awesome!
I hibernate for 5-6 weeks at home with my baby (I am a "fraidy cat" from germs.)
I am thinking alot about a new baby......
My JuJu is 2 now, walks, talks....
Does seem lonely for a baby here.
I just need to know if God has that in the plans... That is the eternal questions> How many kids and when to have them?

lilluv89 said...

YAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVAN!
Love ya!
XOXOXO

Jacobson Five said...

Happy B-day Evan. Hope you enjoyed you light saber cakes. I still want to see pictures of those bad boys.

Tamee said...

I want it to go down in the records that I was the one that picked Rob as a member of the Bishopric. And that I was completely shocked when you showed up at church. You go girl!