10.01.2008

My biggest struggle (right now)

<--Yep! This is it. This child here. This crazy one. It amazes me how one little soul can make me feel like a failure as a parent...

Really there isn't anything wrong with him. It's all me. I just struggle with trying to know the best way to parent this energetic, sassy, goofball!

How do I play off his strengths? How do I encourage him to progress without nagging him constantly? How do I help him realize that there will always be consequences for our actions? AHHHHH...

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade this spunky kid in for anything in the world. He is my cuddler, my carer and nurturer, my beautiful blue eyed boy. He's a smart, smart kid who just needs a kick in the pants here and there (not really, folks) to get him going! He's always up for a good time. He loves his family dearly and is always protecting his younger siblings. He looks up to his older brother, but doesn't feel the need to be just like him--I love this about him! He has the craziest imagination and an endless amount of energy. He is sensitive (which is why I'm struggling to find the best parenting balance--who wants to constantly be herded). Jared responds to love and affection and is always willing to share a hug with me. Seriously, sweet and sour, sugar and spice, etc...

I worry about all of my children to some degree and I guess now is my time to focus on this one. Reality though, I think we are seriously lacking some Daddy attention here...Let's face it, children need their fathers. Almost makes me feel bad for taking him away again for our cruise (in a week and a half!!!!)...

Not really, though, because children also need their Grandma's!

So for now, I will cherish the peaceful, happy moments I have with him (and they DO exist regularly) while pushing forward in teaching this child--and counting down the days until Rob returns...

7 comments to remember:

Melanie said...

I love that picture! Seems to capture him! After our harrowing week last week, Trav and I were discussing how parenthood pushed and challenged us in ways we never imagined. We knew it would be hard, but I never knew it would be hard in these ways....So here's to the next 18 years! haha

Lia said...

Have Rob spend some one on one time with each of them before you leave. Especially the boys. It might help Grandma.

Leah Zamora said...

It's only just begun :)But truly I think you & Rob are great parents. Don't doubt yourself you are doing it right. Whenever it becomes a struggle I find a little more love and attention go along way- even with big boys who you think may not want it:)

Angel said...

Oh, Annie! You are way to hard on yourself. That is a normal part of parenting though.if you're lucky enough to have a large family, you get one dream child, one mother's curse(I hope you have 10 of them just like you!),one that you swear you don't know where it came from and at least one that you worry about every day of your life.
As for daddy time, of course it's important, but remember, it's not the quantity that the child remembers, but the quality. Rob is definatly a quality dad! And you are a wonderful mom. No guilt. You've earned that cruise and gradma will have fun.

Fisher Crew said...

If I didn't know I was reading your blog, I would've thought this was written about Paige (all except the Daddy part.) I feel your pain but Jared and Paige will great people when they grow up because they are so strong and loyal. We need more people like them and more outlets/help/sedatives for the parents who have to raise them!!!

Tamee said...

I'm with Lia and while he's doing that, go get your toes done for the trip. There you have my parenting advice. Deep isn't it? You have amazing boys. They are each blessed to have you as a mother, who cares so much.
9:30! Be there!

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

The goofball is the best part. Good families = good kids and you are A-OK in that department. Don't be so rough on yourself. You are doing a wonderful job!
Cat