3.15.2008

Sugar-free and happy?

Is it possible? Cutting back on sugar, eating healthier in general, has been something I've been thinking about for a few weeks now. Would my kids even notice the difference between sugar-free pudding and regular pudding? I tried it and they had no idea. Same with applesauce. We've been doing the Healthy Harvest kind for years now.

After the boys dentist visit this morning, I've just decided that they eat way too much sugar (and need to floss more). It hadn't been a problem before, but now it is, so it needs to be addressed and it didn't go over too well with Tyler and Jared. I tried to reassure them that there would be plenty of yummy options for snacks that don't contain loads of sugar. They were haters from the start...

"It's not like you can't have any or no sugar. We just need to cut back, drastically."

I don't think their candy lovin' father was thrilled either. I blame him, though, for this candy addiction that lives with us. Why does it always seem like he is to blame when ever things go wrong??!!!

Anyways, I took the boys to the grocery store and got them all excited about eating less sugar (as excited as I could get them). We read labels and looked at how much sugar we used to eat and how much sugar our new treats had. They were feeling a little better by the time we left.

And they thought the sugar-free cookie tasted no different.

So, what kinds of food do you serve your kids that are low in sugar? I'm a mom who needs some convincing suggestions! And do they make sugar-free jelly beans??

4 comments to remember:

Jacobson Five said...

I'm sure they make sugar free jelly beans. That make sugar free everything. Good luck with that. My kids typically snack on goldfish and pretzels. Good luck with that. Today is my cheat day and I am glad that it is not sugar-free.

lbugsh2 said...

You can get Sugar-free jelly beans from Jelly Belly. You can also get Sugar-free Peeps. Let me know if you need help finding them.

Sarah said...

Ethan loves that Healthy Harvest applesauce! And it's really cheap at our awesome new Super Target. : )

I am a terrible mom and my kid probably has teeth rotting out of his skull at this very moment. If you find the solution let me know!!!

Suzy said...

Sugar free pudding, popsicles, and diet pop (if I buy it for home) are just a couple things I do so far, but I know I should do a lot more. I also just recently started buying 25% less sugar items like jelly, oatmeal packets, juice boxes, and cereal.

Good luck with the sugar detox!!