2.10.2008

The Land of Happy

This happenend on Saturday:

I had to do some last minute things for YW, so I dragged the 4 kiddos to A.C.Moore.

I told them, "This is one of my favorite stores. And I'm as thrilled about taking all of you here as you are thrilled about being here. So, let's make a deal to be quick and good, okay?" They agreed.

Of course, we had a few detours--check out the ribbon sale! I wonder if they have any kid science stuff? Can we look at the toys? Anything on clearance? We weaved up and down the aisles like a little train. Everyone remaining pleasant. And Mom feeling grateful for her motley crew.

Then came Ms. Mary Sunshine (nothing like Troy, way worse) talking in her sweet voice.

"Oh, look at you! Isn't this precious (or something lame like that)."

Huh...3 sticky, stinky, bored boys and a baby that refused to sit in the cart. Nothing precious about this at all--I can't think of one thing! I thought maybe she was kidding, so I told her what I had told the boys when we got to the store. She wasn't kidding. She thought we were precious and now I think she was thinking I was the mean grumpy Mom, so she started rattling off suggestions and games I can play with the kids while shopping (still in that sickingly sweet voice, barf).

"You should have the kids look for things that start with every letter of the alphabet."

"No I shouldn't! They should just follow me through the store like good little ducklings so we can get out of here quicker. I'm not here to play games." (I didn't really say this, just though it)

Instead, I smiled and walked away, secretly wishing Evan would chuck a spool of ribbon at her. Dang, I wish I hadn't been so determined about making sure my kids behave in public.

Anyways, are people really always that happy and smiley?? You know those people, everyone knows at least one.

Shel Silverstein said it best...


The Land of Happy

Have you been to The Land of Happy,
Where everyone's happy all day,
Where they joke and they sing
Of the happiest things,
And everything's jolly and gay?
There's no one unhappy in Happy,
There's laughter and smiles galore.
I have been to The Land of Happy--
What a bore!

The Seven Dwarfs had it right.

4 comments to remember:

Denise said...

I hate random people that come up to you and want to make some commentary on your children, or your parenting style, or anything else for that matter.

Drives me crazy!

Anonymous said...

I always get "Oh all girls? Bet you wish you had atleast 1 boy??" NO not really! I am happy with my 3sweet little girls. Or I love, "Are you going to try again for a boy?" Not everyone feels the need to have a boy! So there!

Jacobson Five said...

Oh come on, I wouldn't complain. At least people aren't giving you dirty looks because you are running through the store screaming your sons name, hoping that you don't end up having to do a code Adam. Look on the bright side. See you could be one of those happy people.

Suzy said...

It's funny cause I'm normally a pretty pleasant person unless somebody like THAT comes around and then all of a sudden I turn into a major grouch and want them to GO AWAY! I know exactly what you're talking about...one of my sister-in-laws is like this ALL the time and drives me NUTS!